Enable comments by selecting the Enable commenting on my journal option on your Edit Personal Information page; disable comments by de-selecting it. (Note that when you change settings on this page, you need to save the changes by clicking the Save Changes button near the bottom of the page.)
After enabling comments, you also have options to control:
- Who can reply to your entries:
- Registered Users: Excludes anonymous and OpenID comments
- Friends: Excludes everyone but your Friends
- You can also ban a specific user from commenting without affecting other users' ability to comment.
- Whose IP addresses you want to log
- Whose comments you want screened by default
- Comment Settings Per Entry:
- While it is possible to disable commenting and change screening options for an individual entry, it is not possible to enable comments on that entry if they have been disabled on the entire journal. (Disabling commenting, either for the entire journal or for a specific entry, will also hide any existing comments.)
- If you raise the security of your entries, you will also prevent anonymous comments and limit comments to the readers.
- The web interface and many downloadable clients allow you to change entry settings when updating your journal or editing an entry. For more information on your preferred client, consult its documentation or its menu options.