Feel free to discuss formatting, style, grammar, typos (hopefully none), order within the FAQ or category, content additions/subtractions, title/category change, and any other ideas about this FAQ. Please avoid blanket statements such as "This is bad" or "This is good" without trying to provide some reason.
How do I hide part of my entry behind a link? What is a lj-cut?
A <lj-cut> allows you to hide all or part of your entry behind a link. The part you <lj-cut> is hidden on your journal and on Friends pages, but you can still see the full entry on the "Read Comments" page, the Preview Entry button, and the view entry link on the Update Journal confirmation page.
- Rich Text editor: Highlight the text you want to cut, then press the <lj-cut> button (). In the dialog, you can type the word or phrase to link to the entry.
- Plain Text editor: Type <lj-cut text="Read more"> before the text you want to cut, replacing "Read more" with the word or phrase to link to the entire entry. If you want to start showing text again, type </lj-cut> after the text you want to cut.
- Downloadable Client: Many clients available for download contain simple ways to use the <lj-cut> tag. For information on a specific client, consult its documentation or menu options.
- LiveJournal-specific tags: <lj user> <lj-raw> <lj-poll>
- Disabling <lj-cut> tags: Type these Admin Console commands to disable <lj-cut> tags, so all Friends and Recent Entries pages have full entries.
- set opt_ljcut_disable_lastn 1 -- Disables lj-cuts on Recent Entries pages
- set opt_ljcut_disable_lastn 0 -- Enables lj-cuts on Recent Entries pages
- set opt_ljcut_disable_friends 1 -- Disables lj-cuts on Friends pages
- set opt_ljcut_disable_friends 0 -- Enables lj-cuts on Friends pages