I know GU supporthelps have a stock for this, but I still think it would be helpful for new volunteers to have this FAQ redone, so
FAQ 17: What if I forgot my username or password?
You can retrieve a forgotten username or reset a forgotten password with the Lost Information page.
The username and password email system is entirely automated, so LiveJournal staff and volunteers can't reset your password, change your email address, or delete your account for you.
[Maybe insert a little TOC here that links to those questions with HTML anchors?]
[cut thing for the full FAQ here]
I forgot my username, but I know my password.
Go to the Lost Information page and enter your current email address associated with your LiveJournal account into the box labeled "Lost your username?"
If you do not have access to the email address you used with your account, or if you do not remember the email address you used with your account, you will not be able to retrieve your username. You will have to create a new account if you wish to continue using LiveJournal.
I forgot my password, but I know my username.
If you remember which email address you used with the account, or an email address that has previously been validated on the account:
- Enter your username, and the email address to which you want the password sent on the Lost Information page.
- LiveJournal will automatically send a Lost Password email to the e-mail address you entered, if that email address is validated for that username.
- Check your email account for a Lost Password email.
If you do not remember which email address you used with the account:
- Enter your username, but leave the email section blank on the Lost Information page.
- LiveJournal will automatically send a Lost Password email to the current email address.
- Check all of your email accounts for a Lost Password email.
If you do not receive a Lost Password email after this process, please see below.
I cannot access my account, and I don't have access to my email account any more.
Try using any e-mail address that you validated on the account in the Lost Information page. If you no longer have access to any of the email accounts associated with your LiveJournal account, you may be able to restore access to your account via an alternate method. If this method fails, or if it was not set up before you lost your password, you will have to create a new account if you wish to continue using LiveJournal.
There is no way for LiveJournal to restore access to, delete, or otherwise modify an account if you do not have access to an e-mail address that was previously validated on the account.
I have the right information, but the e-mail from LiveJournal isn't arriving.
- Investigate why you aren't receiving emails from LiveJournal at an address where LiveJournal sent an email.
- Request the Lost Password/Username email after your account receives email from LiveJournal again.
What do you think?